Soil moisture - TDR (HydroSense)
Parameter to be measured:
TDR-method, display gives estimation of travle time in ms and water content after Topps (1980) equation
- CAMPBELL: Two rod sensor CS620 with length of 120 mm and 200 mm and CD620 Hydrosense Display
- easy and fast measurement of punctual soil moisture
- manual measurements
- Fractional digits of reflection time in ms: only one
- Careful application of probe in stony soils
- Accuracy: ±3% water content
What to watch out for:
- Good contact between probe and medium has to be proved
- 1100 € for probe, rods and reading device (1100)
Other related web sites:
Petrone, RM Price, JS, Carey, SK, Waddington, JM 2004. Statistical characterization of the spatial variability of soil moisture in a cutover peatland. HYDROL PROCESS 18(1), 41-52.
Topp, GC, Davis, JL, Annan, AP, 1980. Electromagnetic Determination of Soil Water Content: Measurements in Coaxial Transmission Lines. WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH, 16(3), 574-582.
Wright, N, Quinton, WL, Hayashi, M 2008. Hillslope runoff from an ice-cored peat plateau in a discontinuous permafrost basin, Northwest Territories, Canada. HYDROL PROCESS 22(15), 2816-2828