Soil moisture - capacitance (HS10 Decagon)
Parameter to be measured:
- HS10 Decagon
- Effective range of temperature: -40°C - +50°C
- Effective range of soil moisture: 0 - 57 % volumetric water content
- Accuracy: ±3% without calibration, ±1% - ±2% with calibration
- Relatively cheap
- Easy to install
- Compatible with many loggers
- Calibration needed
- Small measurement volume compared to other sensors
What to watch out for:
- Careful installation, air gaps have a sustainable influence on the measurement compared to other sensors because of the small measurement volume
- Probe is tenderly and will break, if it is pushed in resistive media.
Projects that used the above equipment:
Other related web sites:
- Kargas, G., Soulis, K. (2012): Performance Analysis and Calibration of a New Low-Cost Capacitance Soil Moisture Sensor, J. Irrig. Drain Eng., 138(7), 632–641. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IR.1943-4774.0000449.
- Mittelbach, H., Lehner, I., Seneviratne, S.I. (2012): Comparison of four soil moisture sensor types under field conditions in Switzerland, J of Hydrology 430-431, 39-49, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.01.041.